PEDIATRIC ASSOCIATES OF IOWA CITY AND CORALVILLE L.L.P
Job Title: Billing Assistant
Reports To: Billing Supervisor/Administrator
FLSA Status: Non Exempt
Prepared By: HR Manager/Billing Supervisor
Prepared Date: 08/25/2011
Approved By: Administrator
Revised Date: 09/01/2011
Responsible for helping in reconciling patient account balances. Will also be assisting in collection of delinquent accounts which includes researching accounts past due, and working with customers to get payments. Will also be responsible in assisting other staff with billing, insurance, posting and up-dating patient database information. Assists billing supervisor with other misc. issues that may arise
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned by supervisor and/or administrator
· After a 90 day introductory period employee is required to utilize and manipulate Greenway applications in a fashion requested by the Administrator, Supervisor, and Partners to retain employment
· Respond to tasks from Greenway’s Patient Portal
· Assists in posting of insurance payments for all carriers. Will communicate with insurance companies on an as needed basis
· Assists in processing and researching insurance denials/requests and re-file as needed
· Assists with visit tracking and research any unclosed visits
· Assists with posting charges and ROA payments
· Sets up collection accounts in the medical manager Collection module as well as flagging accounts in Greenway to reference:
-Payment Plans -NSF checks -Bankruptcy -Disenrollment -Adoptions
§ Communicates and documents updates on accounts regarding general billing questions
· Updates the charges in Greenway when there is a change in the fee schedule
· Assists in reviewing patient collection work list on a daily basis and assist when needed with collection reports from Medical Manger
· Assists in mailing of collection letters at all stages of collection
· Performs patient account research duties as requested by supervisor and coworkers
· Helps answer billing questions related to both general billing and collection issues
· Assists with reviewing next day appointment with regard to:
-Associating parents with patients -Adding insurance coverage to patients accounts
-Patient balance -Verify insurance coverage and co-pay
-All other information to bill efficiently
· Assists with Patient Statement report making sure bills sent to parents, insurance has been added and insurance has processed. As well as credits moved from Medical Manager or credits on siblings accounts have been applied as well as service line transferring money
· Assists in maintain of insurance files for easy reference.
Including but not limited to:
-EOB's -Insurance Denials/PI's -Financial Information
· Assists with adding and maintaining the referring provider list in Greenway
· Assists all other team members in performance of their responsibilities
· Prepares reports at the request of the supervisor/Administrator
· Participates fully in regular billing meetings with supervisor and staff
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or GED required. College degree preferred; or six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or schedule form.
Typing test proficiency required and must attain 30 words per minute
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; frequently required to talk or hear; occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.